Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Biggest Let Downs of 2011

This is not really a worst of list, since there were only a couple of movies that I saw that I outright hated. Most of the films listed here ended up her because they disappointed me in some way. They may have had a premise that was promising but turned out not to be the focus of the film, or maybe it was technically well made but lacking in story. When movies surpise you in a good way, you can remember them and recommend them to others. When films tick you off or step on sacred ground without wiping their feet first, then others need to be warned.

Hangover 2
The Hangover 2

I don't know why I expected it to work. The first one was perfect and there was no need for a second version. The trailers did suggest more over the top insanity so my hopes got elevated and all of us got excited. I'm smart enough to know better. The movie virtually re-makes the first film without adding anything particularly new. The characters we came to enjoy turned into guests that overstayed their welcome. I might see it again on the satellite, because I watch way too much, but I will never get the money back or the excitement spent seeing this in a theater.







Green Hornet

The Green Hornet

There was almost no hope that this was going to be much good. The idea of a comedy based Hornet featuring Seth Rogan, just sounds unlikely. This movie mostly just lays there and does nothing to make us care. The only element that made me care was Amanda delivered product placement materials for the shoot during her internship. Again, it was not bad, just underwhelming. When I looked back on my comments last January, I was a lot more positive, but I was also correct, the movie is not very memorable.









The Mechanic

The Mechanic


I am a huge fan of the original with Charles Bronson. He was the forerunner of all the action guys of the 80's, 90s, and 00s. Jason Statham is the quintessential tough guy of contemporary cinema, so it should be a good match but again it was underwhelming.  This could have been so much better so that is the let down.














Cars 2


Cars 2

Cars is one of our favorite Pixar films. Cars 2 is the first outright disappointment from Pixar. Too much Mater, too frantic, none of the charm of Radiator Springs. 













The Thing
The Thing 

I have no excuse, I just wanted it to be something in the area of the John Carpenter version,that was a ridiculous hope. CGI goes overboard in the Antarctic. I am embarrassed to say I spent the money.













Pirates of the Caribbean:On Stranger Tides
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

It is better than the two sequels but that does not say much. This is a great character played by a terrific actor, but it is being wasted on stories that do not measure up. The first movie was perfect, everything since has been a mildly interesting echo. I probably encouraged this by giving into the herd mentality and going ahead and seeing this. I always let my hopes outweigh my fears when it comes to movies. I keep having hopes for Jack Sparrow to really be used in a good movie.









Transformers:Dark of the Moon



Transformers: Dark of the Moon 

I remember almost nothing about it. It was maybe mid-week, and there was nothing else that was new. We liked the first one, the last two are so ehh that I could see them again and and they would be new to me.













HOP
Hop

A mix of live action and animation that does not work. It feels like a chipmunk movie without the Chipmunks. The trailer sold me on it, so whoever put that together earned their money, but everyone else was overpaid to make this dull film that had some nice visuals but terrible acting and a weak story. Compare to "Arthur Christmas" to see how basically the same idea for a story can be realized.











The Adjustment Bureau
The Adjustment Bureau     

This movie was irritating while I was watching it and it is pissing me off right now to remember it. Metaphysical B.S. that uses the high tech special effect of opening and closing doors. Whoa. Overwrought claptrap. In looking back at my original comments, I said I was indifferent to it, not that I hated it. I now stand corrected by myself.










Rubber

Rubber

I saw the trailer and thought "This will be stupid Awesome!", I was wrong it was just stupid. The idea of a sentient rubber tire rolling around the desert, causing thing to explode with it's mind...how could you screw that up? It sounds like trashy fun. Instead we get a pretentious story of obsessed film makers and stupid people who will watch anything. Oh I get it, I'm an idiot for being drawn in by your scenario, and now you want me to see that. F.U. (And since you are French, F. France too.)

No comments: